Reports to: President and Chief Executive Officer
Staff reporting to this position: None
Department: Executive Office
Position classification: Exempt, full time; Nonunion - Level 6
Minimum compensation: $77,000
Work site: Hybrid (on-site two days per week, Washington, D.C., office)
American Progress has an immediate opening for a Speechwriter who will work with the organization’s President and Executive department to write speeches, op-eds, talking points, briefings, and other miscellaneous copy. The Speechwriter will also be responsible for staying up to date on all American Progress’ policy initiatives and strategic objectives in order to most effectively communicate them in written materials. The job requires very strong writing, editing, research, storytelling, synthesizing, and summarizing skills. The most qualified applicant will have a powerful command of writing for the spoken word and will also be a keen student of character and voice, with the ability to pay specific attention to the personal tone, language, and argumentative structure of the executives for whom the applicant is writing.
- Write and edit assignments for American Progress’ President that include but are not limited to speeches, op-eds, presentations, and talking points.
- Assist with drafting major American Progress products as determined by the President, Executive department, and Communications department.
- Compile thorough briefings for all public events that feature the President as a speaker or panelist.
- Write and research for the Executive department.
- Work in close collaboration with American Progress’ policy teams and Communications, Advocacy and Outreach, and Development departments, coordinating workflow across multiple teams and projects.
- Stay up to date on American Progress’ policy initiatives and strategic objectives.
- Assist with special projects as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- At least six years of writing, research, and storytelling experience.
- Experience working with 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) organizations is a plus.
- Experience writing in multiple forms for the spoken word is a plus; this experience can include but is not limited to speechwriting, playwriting, screenwriting, and slam poetry.
- Experience with ghostwriting or writing in another’s voice.
- Excellent writing, editing, and research skills.
- Ability to work in a high-pressure environment and complete writing assignments on tight deadlines.
- Strong judgment and the ability to advise executive staff on strategies for speaking opportunities.
- Capacity to be a supportive and effective team player in a small-team environment.
- Attention to detail.
- Strong time management skills and the capacity to juggle multiple competing priorities.
- Strong commitment to advancing American Progress’ mission.
Candidates should submit a resume, cover letter, and two writing samples.
American Progress provides a competitive compensation and benefits package. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is not represented by a union and has a minimum salary of $77,000.
We will continue to monitor COVID-19 and the levels of community spread and adjust plans as needed for in-office work. Any changes to our current hybrid work policy will be communicated at the time of hire. Updates will be posted on American Progress’ Jobs page.