Join the Caribou Medical Center Team
Tucked away in a vast mountain range, alongside a beautiful reservoir, Caribou Medical Center in Soda Springs, Idaho is a rural community located in the southeastern corner of Idaho. It is a beautiful 45 minute drive to the larger cities of Pocatello, Idaho and Logan, Utah. The area that provides breathtaking views and numerous outdoor recreational opportunities. Many people enjoy hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, kayaking, snow machining, ATV rides, and boating.
Caribou Medical Center is a 25 bed critical access hospital that is dedicated to an organizational culture where leadership is committed to the development of people, and employees feel supported, valued, and inspired.
Our Mission is to be the trusted center of healing for the communities we serve.
Our Visions is to partner with communities we serve, be a catalyst for patient-centered care in a healing environment, and commit to the stewardship of healthcare resources to provide sustainable, high quality healthcare.
We Value integrity, respect, progressive, cooperative, honorable, and trusted.
As a member of our team we offer support for continuing education, competitive wages, and a full benefits package. Benefits package includes:
- Life Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Legal Shield/ Identify Theft program
- 401 K with employer match up to 8%
- Health Reimbursement Account
Position Description: The Surgical Technologist works as an integral member of the surgical team providing care for the patient during the peri-operative period. The ST will have an acquired knowledge of the types of procedures performed in this department and will be familiar with the correct application of the instruments used plus how to clean and care for the instruments. The ST will have knowledge of medications used during the intra-operative period. Through proper planning and guidance using physician work sheets/pick list the ST will arrange the instrumentation in such a manner as to achieve maximum efficiency during an operative procedure, anticipating the needs of the surgeon, maintaining the integrity of the sterile field, and participating in all needed counts.
Works as a member of the surgical team caring for patients during the intra-operative period.
- Participates in the planning process for surgical procedures.
- Using physician work sheets/pick list and experience, will gather the needed instruments and supplies to prepare the surgical suite for the procedure.
- Using proper application of the aseptic technique will open and prepare the sterile field.
- Wearing proper attire, will perform scrub hand washing donning of sterile garb, and begin preparations for the surgical procedure.
- Will arrange drapes, instruments, and supplies in an orderly manner so that maximum efficiency can be achieved during the surgical procedure.
- Will work to achieve a safe environment for the patient by maintaining the integrity of the sterile field.
- Will evaluate all instrumentation and technical equipment to assure that it is in a proper and safe working condition.
- Knowledge of the structure and function of the human anatomy and appropriate interventions necessary to prevent/minimize trauma to the patient.
- Will have the dexterity and knowledge to properly use surgical instruments to provide assistance to the surgeon during the procedure in the Surgical Technologist role.
- Participates in all necessary counts prior to a procedure and at the designated time during and at the end of a procedure.
- Provides care to the patient in the application of dressings and transferring them to the recovery area.
- Works in a calm and efficient manner when an emergency situation arises.
Collaborates with other surgical staff to evaluate stock levels of supplies, initiate ordering as needed. Takes ownership in assigned specialty for having supplies/equipment at an efficient PAR level. Reviews and updates work sheets/pick lists. Assists Circulator assure that all applicable charges are made during procedure.
- Checks assigned specialty non-stock and stock supplies on a weekly basis to ensure an adequate quantity is available for necessary procedures.
- Communicates any difficulties in maintaining supply levels to Periop Services Manager.
- As procedures change and evolve the worksheet/pick lists need updated. The ST will be proactive with staff to get these updates done and kept current.
Maintains effective communications.
- Promotes positive work climate.
- Performs clerical duties appropriately.
- Demonstrates ability to work with others in a team effort and effectively communicates role expectations.
- Keeps Supervisor informed of any changes in status.
- Able to adapt to the patient care delivery system in the appropriate clinical area.
- Strives to problem-solve conflicts by using proper communication channels and chain of command.
- Accurately conveys lab data, surgery schedule changes, departmental scheduling, and physician messages to the appropriate person.
Processes and sterilizes instruments and supplies.
- Cleans and lubricates instruments after use. Checks the integrity of these instruments.
- Accurately assembles instrument trays and prepares them for sterilization.
- Properly labels all supplies that are to be sterilized.
- Is familiar with the operation of all the sterilizers, and the methods for sterilization and high level disinfection and can fill in when needed as staff is required in Sterile Processing.
Other duties as assigned. Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for their job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.