Jumpstart envisions the day when every child in America enters kindergarten prepared to succeed. A national early education organization with operations in 14 states plus Washington, DC, Jumpstart drives outcomes for young children in three critical ways. Jumpstart provides language, literacy, and social-emotionaldirect service programmingutilizing an evidence-backed curriculum for preschool children from under-served communities,workforce programmingto expand the pipeline of qualified, diverse talent pursuing careers in early education, andpolicy advocacyto support the early childhood field and promote high-quality early learning for all. By leveraging nearly 30 years of experience serving over 157,900 children with the support of more than 62,500 college students, community volunteers, and alumni who are credentialed ECE teachers, Jumpstart executes these three objectives to improve the quality of the early education workforce and increase opportunity for young children to succeed across America. Learn more atwww.jstart.organd join us in transforming the lives of young children!
The Community Engagement Manager role is a full year position that is responsible for implementing high quality community engagement programs and activities throughout the surrounding area (also known as, the greater metroplex). They work and collaborate with internal staff and external partners to provide services and execute events aimed at addressing local needs and to bring more visibility to Jumpstart. They cultivate and steward local partnerships that are critical to long-term sustainability and impact. During the school year, the manager works in close partnership with Jumpstart’s program team, development and other national department teams, and site-based staff to provide meaningful opportunities to engage volunteers, children, families, members, funders, and other key stakeholders in community impact work. During the summer months, the manager also recruits, trains, and supervises college students serving as part-time AmeriCorps members to serve preschool children and support learning outcomes in local program partner classrooms.
This role also provides strong project management and coordination for community-based initiatives and serves as a liaison between Jumpstart and diverse community partners. Other duties include programmatic planning and implementation, data, and systems management. The position requires a highly organized and motivated individual who can manage and prioritize multiple projects and tasks, maintain a positive attitude and problem-solving mindset, and possesses the ability to manage and master multiple systems. The role must meet programmatic goals for community impact, report on progress, and do action planning throughout the year. The position is based out of a Jumpstart office and requires frequent out of office work for events and community engagement activities, along with occasional non-traditional work hours. The Community Engagement Manager reports to a Director of Programs.
There are currently 4 positions open in Boston, MA, New York, NY, Berkeley, CA, and Los Angeles, CA.
Program Management & Community Impact
- Develop and implement annual goals with project plans, program activities and budgets to support Jumpstart’s strategic direction, as well as produce accurate and timely reporting includes engaging 150-250 outside volunteers to reach 400-500 children through community events (school year goals) and engaging 20-25 CMs to serve 100-150 children through summer classroom service and programs (summer goals)
- Support the execution of events that promote early language, literacy, and social-emotional development and engage family and community members, including but not limited to Family Literacy Academies, Jumpstart’s Read for the Record campaign, Jumpstart for a Day (JFAD), etcetera
- Recruit a Community Engagement Coordinator and manage them to develop and implement community engagement opportunities that involve outside volunteers and corporate sponsors in Jumpstart’s work
- Directly manage program fellows, interns, and other long-term volunteers to implement and replicate program initiatives
- Represent Jumpstart at local community collaborative meetings and develop/contribute to a framework of intercommunal connections and referrals
- Contribute to internal communities of practice to share best practices, problem solve with peers, and to support the development of continuous improvement resources
- Manage the execution of summer program by recruiting, training, and supporting Jumpstart Corps Members and Team Leaders to successfully engage in service to deliver high quality classroom programming; adapt or develop training content for members when necessary
- Use Jumpstart’s coaching framework to observe sessions and planning meetings to monitor the quality of interactions between Corps Members and children and the implementation of planned curriculum
- Order, organize, distribute and manage curriculum supplies for high quality program implementation
- Partner with classroom teachers and preschool center directors to obtain agreement, implement programming and administer child assessments and collect child data
- Utilize required systems such as Salesforce, eGrants, America Learns, MyJstart and Paycom for administrative aspects of Corps Member management
- Outreach to potential volunteers through in-person conversations, posting to social media, holding recruitment events, etcetera
- Present Jumpstart’s mission and service opportunities to local community organizations, leadership groups, preschool partners, and families to recruit volunteers
- Coordinate all volunteer required paperwork and criminal history checks for participation in a service event
- Document and log volunteer data and hours in volunteer tracking tool/system, including criminal history checks and attendance, and report data and hours
- Facilitate and support training of volunteers on topics such as reading to young children, assembling literacy materials, and filling out volunteer paperwork
- Preparation project materials and coordinate logistics of delivery, set-up, and pack-up from events (start to finish)
- Coordinate and implement on-going and/or annual volunteer and partner appreciation events
- Collect, manage, and compile feedback from all parties involved in service projects, including volunteers, preschool program partners, and community members through electronic forms, written reports, testimonials, and verbal comments
- Share feedback internally to acknowledge strengths, successes and to make improvements for future volunteer service projects and activities
Partner Management & Community Collaboration
- Build, sustain, and deepen Jumpstart’s community, preschool, and key stakeholder partnerships
- Share feedback internally and externally to acknowledge strengths, successes and to make improvements for partner relationships
- Cultivate and maintain positive relationships with key community stakeholders, including attending and representing Jumpstart at community coalition and stakeholder meetings
- Create and implement work plans for Jumpstart directed projects and community initiatives
- Compose regular updates for Jumpstart team on the progress of community initiatives
- Oversee and maintain all budgetary and reporting requirements in collaboration with the Finance and Development Departments and supported by manager, including maintaining a tracker for events and ensure completion of all grant and funder requirements associated with this role
- Research relevant community organizations and service events to coordinate additional opportunities for volunteers and increase Jumpstart visibility within the community