Gotham Greens is seeking a passionate, driven, and hardworking individual to fill a position as a General Manager for our new Davis, CA greenhouse on the West Coast. This is a hands-on visible position requiring direct oversight of labor management, production process, packaging, receiving, and distribution.
Gotham Greens is creating new ways to farm, produce local food, revitalize communities and innovate for a sustainable future. The ideal candidate will be results-driven, comfortable rolling up their sleeves, and capable of interacting with individuals at all levels of the organization. Experience with harvesting, packing and warehouse operations, managing inbound and outbound logistics, staff training, and shift schedules; and proven success in achieving cost reductions and efficiencies in plant operations is required. Experience opening and establishing a new manufacturing facility is highly preferred. Prior experience in the natural and organic food industry a plus but not required. This is an opportunity for an enthusiastic, self-motivated, and organized individual to assume a position at a rapidly growing, innovative, disruptive company in the 21st-century food system.
What You'll Do
- Manages day-to-day operations of the Greenhouse including greenhouse operations, packhouse operations, and distribution operations.
- Ensures ongoing efficient management of inventory control, cost of goods, budgets, and KPI targets.
- Ensures ongoing facility compliance with company quality, sanitation, and Food Safety standards
- Ensures ongoing Employee Safety and OSHA compliance
- Oversees Plant Managers and Maintenance Supervisor,
- Collaborates with Senior Grower to operate a productive and cost-effective Greenhouse facility, organizes shift schedules with Senior Grower, and coordinates purchasing
- Partners with the Director of Operations to oversee West Coast Operations
- Evaluates current procedures and practices for accomplishing department objectives; develops and implements improved procedures and practices
- Gives work direction, resolves problems, and sets deadlines to ensure timely completion of daily tasks
- Monitors and analyzes costs, prepare and/or maintain budgets, and has direct oversight of the Green House P&L
- Maintains and reviews quality reports/statistics to ensure consistent, quality finished goods
- Communicates with Sales and Marketing to support continued company growth
- Promotes a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality
- Mentors and develops staff using a supportive and collaborative approach; assign accountabilities; sets objectives; establishes priorities, and monitors and evaluates results
- Complies with established State and Federal Regulations, Environmental, OSHA, and Safety programs.
- Maintains a strong relationship with other tenants.
- Ensures all employees adhere to the company policies.
- Supports with 3rd party vendor management
- Ability to manage both locations, planning on-site schedules.
Who You Are
- Bachelors degree and 5-8 years of relevant related experience in plant operations or manufacturing with proven success.
- Strong mentoring, coaching experience to a team with diverse levels of expertise
- Entrepreneurial team player who can multitask and roll up their sleeves
- Superior management skills; ability to influence and engage direct and indirect reports and peers
- Successful leadership in earlystage startups or other rapid growth environments
- Experience working with ERP systems, material handling suppliers, trucking and logistics, and contract negations.
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving, and negotiating abilities
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal skills, high attention to detail; highly organized, and passionate commitment to the company vision
- Appreciation to principles of sustainable agriculture and food and experience in specialty food, agriculture, natural and organic CPG a plus
- Strong knowledge of MS Office.
- Adjusts to changing conditions and willingness to works off-shift, holidays, and weekends as needed. Understands and complies with company policies.
- Bilingual highly preferable, but not required
Who We Are
Gotham Greens is on a mission to transform how and where fresh produce is grown. We are a pioneer in urban indoor agriculture and a leading fresh produce and food company. Through our national network of local high-tech farms, Gotham Greens delivers fresh, long-lasting, and delicious leafy greens, herbs, salad dressings and pesto dip all year round to retail, restaurant, and foodservice customers.
Today, Gotham Greens has 9 locations with 600,000+ sq. ft. of hydroponic greenhouses across six U.S. states and over 350 team members. Since its launch in 2011, Gotham Greens has grown from a single urban rooftop greenhouse in Brooklyn, N.Y., to a multi-state greenhouse operator and one of the largest hydroponic leafy green producers in North America.