At Thinkery, our mission is to equip and inspire the next generation of creative problem solvers. We need talented, passionate people working together to make this happen. We are looking to grow seasonally with people who share our energy and enthusiasm for fostering a creative, safe and challenging environment for campers to expand their problem-solving potential—and have a whole lot of fun!
SHARED VALUES AND EXPECTATIONS:
All Thinkery camp staff know what it means to be a vital part of a team and approach challenges with positivity. All staff are expected to:
- Serve as an ambassador of Thinkery, demonstrating our mission and values in a positive and professional manner and acting as a role model
- Commit to building a safe, child-focused community
- Demonstrate professionalism and accountability
- Take initiative to analyze and solve problems
- Treat others with courtesy and respect
- Respond to camper, family member and colleague needs
- Maintain a high standard of ethics, integrity and confidentiality
- Provide excellent customer service
Camp Counselors inspire and motivate campers as a co-facilitator, encourager, and mentor. Camp Counselors ignite learning experiences for individual campers and small groups, helping to bring Thinkery camps to life. Instill and nurture curiosity in campers ranging from pre-K to 5th grade, through sharing your love of science, art or engineering. Grow as a youth leader as you work in a team to keep camp running smoothly and campers smiling.
- Support a joyful, safe and engaging camp experience for 20-25 children ages 4-11.
- Support teen counselors-in-training (CITs) and work with educators to strengthen group management and teaching techniques.
- Represent Thinkery and its values at 5 camp locations in Austin.
- Provide excellent customer service and share the excitement of camp with families.
- Provide leadership, energy and camp spirit, constantly assessing group dynamics and the needs of individual campers
- Support camper check-in and check-out processes.
- Interact with and ensure safety of kids on-site and on field trips. Communicating with supervisor as challenges arise.
- Assist with daily set-up and clean-up of camp.
- Problem solve on the fly and handle day to day issues.
- Make every moment count by filling transition times with games and songs, utilizing each opportunity to make your campers feel special.
- Represent Thinkery’s key values of inclusion, excellence, respect, innovation, playfulness, cooperation and creativity.
- Support a culture of cross organization communication, collaboration and information sharing.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Availability to work Monday- Friday at least 7 weeks of the summer, between June 1 – August 14
- Desire to grow and learn
- Experience taking initiative and following through on responsibilities.
- Open to feedback and desire to grow professionally.
- Ability to communicate clearly, maturely and compassionately with caregivers.
- Background or love for science, technology, engineering, art, math, or education.
- Understanding and familiarity with basic tools (power drills, hammers, screwdrivers, etc.) desired
- Computer programming and technology skills desired.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION:
- College coursework (or equivalent) in education or STEAM-related field preferred. High school Diploma or GED required.
- 1+ years’ experience working with diverse groups of kids.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
This position is active, approximately 80% mobile. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to:
- Observe and react to the needs of campers, care-givers, guests, staff, volunteers, and community partners.
- Move throughout the museum
- Manipulate and move supplies and exhibit components weighing up to 30 pounds, including those that may be low to the ground or above eye level
- Communicate and exchange accurate information with campers, parents, guests, staff, volunteers, and community partners in a variety of formats including in-person, electronically, and over the phone.
- Detect and respond to safety hazards.
- Occasionally work in outdoor environments
- Utilize electronic devices efficiently and accurately.
- Conduct trainings and deliver content to groups.
This job description should not be construed to imply these requirements are the only duties, responsibilities and qualifications for this job. Incumbents may be required to follow any additional related instructions, acquire related job skills, and perform other related work as required. This job description may be updated as needed.
The Thinkery is an Equal Opportunity Employer. This company does not and will not discriminate in employment and personnel practices on the basis of race, sex, age, handicap, religion, national origin, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by applicable law. Hiring, transferring and promotion practices are performed without regard to the above listed items. All candidates offered a position will be required to submit to a background and reference checks.