Gotham Greens is seeking a Director of Brand and Corporate Communications to help drive and execute our communications strategy, strengthen our company's reputation, increase our brand awareness and elevate our senior leaders' thought leadership. This role reports to the Vice President of Marketing.
Gotham Greens is creating new ways to farm, produce local food, revitalize communities and innovate for a sustainable future. As we grow our company and our brand, we want to continue expanding our earned media presence. The ideal candidate is a proactive communicator and exceptional writer with at least 8 years of experience in public relations or journalism. You have a true passion for storytelling and can build and execute a communications strategy across the business, trade and consumer media landscapes. You are quick on your feet, obsessed with details, passionate about brands with strong cultural relevancy and love building meaningful relationships with the media. You understand the importance of knowing your audience, what resonates with them and how to distill complex ideas into fresh, creative and compelling stories. You bring an existing and extensive network of media contacts from key consumer, business and trade outlets.
What You'll Do:
- Public Relations: Manage external PR agency day-to-day. Keep them accountable to KPIs and help ideate and implement short- and long-term media plan. Contribute to the development and execution of national, regional and localized PR strategies. Develop strategic plans to elevate new product launches, marketing campaigns and evergreen narratives. Proactively and reactively establish and maintain relationships with national, regional and local media and bloggers.
- Messaging/Storytelling: Collaborate with Marketing team to strengthen Gotham Greens messaging and communications strategy. Identify creative ways to expand and tell the Gotham Greens story to various audiences and amplify key milestones and culturally relevant moments across a variety of media channels.
- Writing: Develop compelling written content by contributing to press releases, company statements, Q&A/talking points, briefings, award nominations and media pitches.
- Spokespeople/Influencers: Collaborate with Marketing team to identify high-value spokespeople and influencers that can be utilized across a variety of channels, including earned media, social media, events and partnerships.
- Interviews: Work with CEO and Vice President of Marketing on media opportunities, interview prep and thought leadership. Create and conduct media briefings for key company spokespeople, facilitate and staff interviews, and share read-outs for visibility. Provide on-location support as needed.
- Measurement and Reporting: Contribute to setting monthly objectives with clear KPIs, working closely with the Vice President of Marketing to contribute to team and company-wide reporting.
- Internal Communications: Support leadership team in drafting internal messaging and executive talking points, coordinating internal company announcements, and working alongside the People & Culture team to foster an organic, transparent & thoughtful company culture.
- Rapid Response: Serve as primary support for the Executive Team and Vice President of Marketing on crisis communications, maintaining a Crisis Communications protocol program
- Customer Experience: Manage and grow customer experience team while improving systems and reporting.
Who You Are:
- You have 8+ years of directly relevant experience, with a preference for a combination of journalism, PR agency and/or in-house experience on a PR/communications team.
- You're a strategic thinker as well as a doer. You can think big-picture and also roll up your sleeves to get the job done.
- You're a self-starter. You can recommend and initiate projects with minimal direction.
- You're organized with strong attention to detail and the ability to turn around quick deadlines.
- You're a relationship builder and a media relations pro. You have solid media contacts and a demonstrated ability to drive high-impact placements with top-tier publications.
- You have excellent written and verbal communication skills. You're a skilled writer and editor, developing content for a variety of purposes with minimal edits. You know the AP Style guide from cover to cover and have a clear point of view on the Oxford comma.
- You're great under pressure, possessing the ability to act as a company spokesperson (if needed), with on-the-record experience in both print and broadcast media interviews.
- You're creative. You're able to conceptualize newsworthy moments, develop story ideas and follow through with pitches that land great media.
- You're a natural partner and trusted advisor. You're able to work seamlessly with external agencies to ensure alignment and execution against multiple goals. You have a proven ability to advise internal partners on communications strategy and are comfortable working closely with executive and senior leadership.
- You care about results. You're able to measure success and report on what's working and what's not so we can iterate and improve on a regular basis.
- Strong understanding of food, beverage and CPG industry.
- Work location is flexible if approved by the Company, however this position may not be performed remotely from Colorado.
Who We Are
Gotham Greens is on a mission to transform how and where fresh produce is grown. We are a pioneer in urban indoor agriculture and a leading fresh produce and food company. Through our national network of local high-tech farms, Gotham Greens delivers fresh, long-lasting, and delicious leafy greens, herbs, salad dressings and pesto dip all year round to retail, restaurant, and foodservice customers.
Today, Gotham Greens has 9 locations with 600,000+ sq. ft. of hydroponic greenhouses across six U.S. states and over 350 team members. Since its launch in 2011, Gotham Greens has grown from a single urban rooftop greenhouse in Brooklyn, N.Y., to a multi-state greenhouse operator and one of the largest hydroponic leafy green producers in North America.