Thinkery is where Austin’s children and their families come to enjoy play-based, inquiry-rich, hands-on learning experiences. We believe that innovative, play-based, STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts, and math) learning experiences are a powerful way for children to develop problem-solving skills, critical thinking, and curiosity about the world around them. Our exhibits and programs encourage children—alongside their caregivers—to solve creative challenges, explore a variety of materials, and to develop new ways to complete unfamiliar projects. Through these activities, children gain the tools and confidence to develop and grow into enthusiastic, creative, lifelong STEAM learners and thinkers.
Working as part of the Marketing team, the Designer is responsible for ensuring brand consistency across the organization, designing and producing all printed and digital marketing collateral, and communications and web design for the museum. The Designer concepts and creates designs to communicate audience-centric ideas that inspire, inform and deepen engagement. The Designer is a key collaborator in sharing Thinkery’s story, effectively promoting our services, and attracting and serving diverse audiences. The Designer has a mix of creative, web design and marketing skills and is a self-motivated and highly organized individual who can easily manage several projects at once.
- Maintains the brand identity of the organization through graphic and digital applications.
- Concepts, designs and executes graphic/branding applications and production needs, including:
- Onsite and offsite signage
- Museum collateral, including brochures, flyers and signs
- Print and digital advertising
- Digital materials, including online forms and informational PDFs
- Website and online content
- Special events, such as IMAGINARIUM, Thinkery21, fundraising campaigns, etc.
- Works collaboratively with internal teams, briefing and advising on brand standards, format, print production, budget, timelines and more.
- Responsible for visual execution and content management of Thinkery’s website
- Stewards positive relationships with external vendors and manages bids for branding-related projects.
- Manage projects within budget and time frames.
- Ensures effective operation of plotter printer.
- Designs and produces branded materials for Administrative and Human Resource purposes.
- Maintains a portfolio of collateral for the organization.
- Supports photography and videography needs of the museum.
- Represent Thinkery’s key values of inclusion, excellence, respect, innovation, playfulness, cooperation, and creativity.
- Support a culture of cross organization communication, collaboration and information sharing.
- Bachelor’s in Graphic Design, Advertising, or related field or 4 years of equivalent experience.
- 2-3 years design experience, design production and budget management.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, Office Suite and web content management, such as WordPress.
- Highly organized with the ability to prioritize tasks to produce quality work within tight timeframes.
- Ability to communicate effectively in multiple formats.
- Copy editing abilities preferred.
- Photography experience a plus.
- Proficiency with HTML and CSS a plus.
- Schedule and availability reflects that the organization is a 7-day-a-week operation. Days and hours of work are largely Monday through Friday, 9 am to 5 pm, with flexibility for personal needs and preferences. Periodic duties outside of/in excess of regular work week schedule during seasonal high-volume times.
- Assist in engaging and sustaining volunteers through introduction, information sharing and oversight (when applicable).
- Provide periodic support and programmatic duties in other Museum areas.
- Uphold professional attendance at museum functions and special events.
- Able to work with staff and community members from diverse backgrounds
- Spanish proficiency a strong asset.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to:
- Operate a computer efficiently and accurately, with particular attention to fine details
- Manipulate and move supplies and materials up to 15 pounds, including those that may be low to the ground or above eye level
- Observe and react to the needs of guests, staff, volunteers, and community partners
- Move throughout the museum
- Communicate and exchange accurate information in a variety of formats including in-person, electronically, and over the phone.
- Detect and respond to safety hazards
- Occasionally work in outdoor environments
Thinkery offers competitive and affordable benefits for our full-time staff including options for 100% employer sponsored medical coverage. Our benefits package includes:
- Medical insurance options including HSA, PPO Gold, and PPO Platinum plans with each with 100% co-insurance after deductible.
- Affordable dental and vision
- 100% employer sponsored EAP, STD, LTD, AD&D, and Life Insurance.
- 2 weeks of paid vacation, 4 weeks of paid sick leave, and 13 paid holidays each year.
- Pet friendly offices.
This job description should not be construed to imply these requirements are the only duties, responsibilities and qualifications for this job. Incumbents may be required to follow any additional related instructions, acquire related job skills, and perform other related work as required. This job description may be updated as needed.
The Thinkery is an Equal Opportunity Employer. This company does not and will not discriminate in employment and personnel practices on the basis of race, sex, age, handicap, religion, national origin, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by applicable law. Hiring, transferring and promotion practices are performed without regard to the above listed items. All candidates offered a position will be required to submit to a background and reference checks.