Who We Are
Led by highly successful physician executives with a mission to improve health care quality for underserved populations. Rendr is a primary care-driven, multi-specialty medical group serving approximately 100,000 patients through its forty locations in Brooklyn, Manhattan, and Queens. Rendr is a growing physician practice dedicated to serving the Chinese American population throughout the New York metropolitan area. We bring together a group of world-class physicians with a proven executive leadership team and a robust care management platform to deliver the best care possible to this underserved population.
What we are looking for: In-house Associate Legal Counsel and Compliance Officer who will have responsibility for legal and compliance oversight at Rendr. The Associate Counsel will also serve as the Rendr Privacy Officer.
Role Title: Associate General Counsel/Compliance Officer
Location: New York, New York, with partial remote opportunity
The Associate General Counsel will be an integral member of the Rendr team and will be responsible for overseeing the legal/compliance functions for Rendr. As the hands on, in-house legal lead for Rendr, the Associate General Counsel will be the legal advisor for colleagues and senior management on a full range of legal matters including: corporate governance; commercial transactions; contracts; leases; federal and state regulatory matters; HIPAA compliance; Stark and reimbursement compliance; employment issues. The Associate General Counsel will be responsible for establishing and maintaining a work environment focused on delivering high quality patient care and one that fosters respect, open communication, collaboration, and teamwork. The Associate General Counsel will report to the President of Rendr and will have a support from the legal team of CareAbout, the affiliated management company.
- Draft, review and negotiate a variety of commercial contracts and other legal documents, including, corporate transaction documents, independent contractor and consulting agreements, employment-related agreements, confidentiality, vendor agreements and license agreements.
- Advise senior leadership on contract status, legal risks, and business terms of transactions.
- Provide legal guidance as to the operations of the Rendr business to effectively run the management services organization to support participating providers.
- Participate in the development of Rendr medical and operational policies, procedures, and programs to efficiently manage the Company’s activities and mitigate risk.
- Proactively address rapidly evolving legislative environment, including changes in laws and regulations, regulatory focus areas and industry best practices that may affect the Company and its affiliates.
- Serve as the Corporate Compliance Officer of Rendr to ensure the Company conducts its business in compliance with all applicable laws and in accord with the NYS Office of Inspector General’s 8 elements of an effective compliance program.
- Advise on various healthcare laws including those on privacy, Medicare, Medicaid and other governmental programs, FCA, Stark, HIPAA, Anti-Kickback statutes.
- Serve as Rendr’s Privacy Officer.
- Investigate and resolve any compliance or risk concerns in an effort to mitigate the Company’s liability.
- Provide counsel for legal aspects of practice operations including informed consent, medical records, and patients’ rights issues.
- Act as Corporate Secretary for Board meetings; maintain appropriate corporate records.
- Provide oversight and leadership for all legal needs of the Company, including those of internal stakeholders and affiliates.
Qualifications or Education, Training and Experience:
- Juris Doctorate (JD) from an accredited law school.
- Admission to the New York State Bar.
- Minimum 8-10 years of experience in health law.
- Chinese speaking strong plus.
Knowledge and Skills/Expected Competencies:
- Knowledge of laws and standards governing the delivery of health care by providers in New York.
- Experience in broad range of transactional work, including drafting and negotiating various types of agreements.
- Ability to advise senior management on complex business and commercial matters and risks.
- Strong understanding of laws relating to health care compliance, including but not limited to Anti-kickback law; FCA, Stark and HIPAA.
- Proven ability to make sound legal judgments and decisions. Ability to quickly assess potential problems and provide effective resolutions.
- Self-starter who can work independently with minimal supervision in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
- Ability to maintain high-volume, high-quality workflow while handling multiple priorities and objectives.
- Superior communication skills in both written and verbal presentation.
- Well-developed negotiation, interpersonal and leadership skills.
- Dependable, strong work ethic; high degree of ethics, personal integrity, and use of sound judgment.
Salary and Benefits:
- Competitive pay
- A friendly and fast-paced environment working with passionate people
- Medical, vision, dental and life insurance
- Short and Long-Term Disability
- PTO and Paid Holidays
- A Comprehensive Benefits Package
- 401k Plan with Match