Department: Conservation and Science Department
Supervisor: Director of Conservation and Science
FLSA Status: Part Time (12-24 hours/week), Seasonal (Spring 2023), Non-Exempt
Starting Pay Rate: $17.00/hour
Application Submission Deadline: 2/1/2023
This position is a paid internship responsible for behavioral monitoring of Mt. Graham red squirrels at the Phoenix Zoo using video software. As part of the Zoo’s efforts to breed these endangered squirrels for release to the wild, the data collected for this project will help us understand how social behaviors of group-housed Mt. Graham red squirrels change over the breeding season. Should pups be born during the internship, the intern will also collect observational data on pup development using video software. This position will learn how to record behavioral observations and understand how collected data are analyzed.
This 3-to-4 month position requires collecting data at the Phoenix Zoo 2-3 times per week, with schedule to be determined dependent on applicant availability.
1. Provide quality guest service to both internal and external guests by maintaining a WILD (friendly, helpful, positive and professional) working attitude and appearance.
2. Learn how to identify affiliative and agonistic behaviors between conspecifics, in addition to parental/offspring behaviors and pup developmental milestones if applicable.
3. Assist with data collection on Mt. Graham red squirrel behavior in conjunction with Conservation & Science Department full-time staff.
This is by no means an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. Management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed when circumstances change (e.g., emergencies, changes in personnel, workload, rush jobs, or technological developments.
1. Applicants must upload a resume as well as a cover letter explaining interest in the position and any relevant prior experience.
2. Applicants must email an up-to-date copy of their unofficial university/college transcript to firstname.lastname@example.org.