About Graham Windham:
In full partnership with families and communities, Graham Windham strives to make a life-altering difference with children, youth and families who are overcoming some of life’s most difficult challenges and obstacles by helping to build a strong foundation for life: a safe, loving, permanent family and the opportunity and preparation to thrive in school and in the world. With over 500 full-time employees serving children and families in multiple programs throughout the Bronx, Brooklyn and Harlem, Graham Windham provides an exciting and enriching work experience.
Who We're Looking For:
The Bronx Academy for Multi-Media is seeking a vibrant, compassionate, and dedicated School Success Mentor who is passionate about fostering success in young people. This unique opportunity is perfect for college students looking for hands-on experience in education, social work, or community engagement. You'll play a significant role in weaving together social services with education to holistically support our students and families, contributing to an engaging, joyful, and inclusive school climate.
What You'll Do:
As a School Success Mentor, you'll be an essential figure in overcoming various attendance challenges related to Family Health & Wellness, Time Management, Parent/Student Motivation, Temporary Housing/Homelessness, and Student Suspensions.
By establishing trusting relationships with students and their families, you'll provide personalized support and guidance, creating and implementing practical SMART plans. Your daily engagement, home visits, and parent conferences will not only boost student attendance rates and academic performance but also strengthen our family engagement strategies.
This is an exciting chance to make a tangible difference in the lives of our students and their families, fostering resilience and success within our vibrant school community.
- Build meaningful relationships with students and families, fostering a supportive and inclusive school environment.
- Provide targeted support to students with a history of chronic absenteeism, creating personalized action plans.
- Conduct daily student check-ins, tracking academic progress and providing ongoing support.
- Perform home visits and parent conferences, fostering strong home-school connections and early intervention.
- Guide the creation of SMART plans, providing resources and support for successful execution.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with Wellness, Operations, and Community Outreach & Programming units, aligning services with students' needs.
- Address specific attendance challenges by offering expertise and targeted strategies to families.
Key Areas of Focus:
- Family Health & Wellness: Advocate for accommodations and provide resources for health-related attendance obstacles.
- Time Management: Provide strategies for effective time management and prioritization.
- Parent/Student Motivation: Inspire a love for learning and encourage parent engagement.
- Temporary Housing/Homelessness: Connect families with resources and support during housing instability.
- Student Suspensions: Facilitate the return of suspended students and advocate for restorative justice practices.