Guided Discoveries, Inc.
Location: AstroCamp, Idyllwild CA
Work Year: School Year 2021/22
**Employment/Dates are an estimate dependent upon COVID-19 guidelines from the CDC, The State of California, and Local County Officials.**
Responsible to: AstroCamp Program Director
Instructors are responsible for bringing physical sciences and astronomy concepts to life through hands-on, experiential education classes and activities to 3-5 day programs. The position also provides quality instruction and leadership to all outdoor programs.
Duties & Responsibilities
Specific Responsibilities (Examples of Duties):
- To communicate effectively with students, teachers, and co-workers
- Safely and professionally implement program curriculum
- Proficient in academic knowledge of classes to be taught
- Attend and contribute to all leadership and instruction sessions for staff
- Present quality programs to school groups as assigned
- Aid in maintaining classrooms and facilities in good working order
- Enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures
- Understand Guided Discoveries Safety Program and responsibilities
- Ability to drive company vehicles if necessary
Other Responsibilities/Supportive Functions:
- Must be able to work with the campers, counselors, supervisors, and other staff effectively.
- Ability to communicate any problems with staff or campers to Program Director, Camp Director, Assistant Camp Director, or Head Counselor(s).
- Be in good physical condition with mobility, visual, and auditory skills to maintain control of campers in a variety of environments (on track, in learning sessions, in the water, etc.).
- Ability to lift, carry, and move heavy objects when necessary.
- Excellent communication and organization skills are necessary to ensure a good experience for the staff and campers.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team or on solo project as required.
- Ability to appropriately respond to emergencies and enforce appropriate safety rules.
- Housing on campus
- Full meals
- Medical insurance provided the 1st of the month after working 60 days of full-time employment
- Workers Compensation Insurance and State Disability Insurance
- Guest visitation privileges to company with prior permission
- Opportunity to live and work in a beautiful mountain environment
Starting at $16.50/hour
Special Skills & Abilities/Mental and Physical Demands:
Note: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Staff may perform other related duties as required to meet the ongoing needs of the organization. Management reserves the right to add, modify, change or rescind work assignments and to make reasonable accommodations as needed.
The employee member is subject to environmental conditions found working indoors/outdoors. The employee member is frequently subject to extreme heat, with temperatures up to 80-95 degrees with humidity of 75 100 % while moving around in and outside of camp. The employee member is frequently subject to loud noise when working in or around the camp. The employee member is subject to hazards which includes proximity to moving mechanical parts, equipment found in kitchens and food service areas, sharp objects, and exposure to cleaning chemicals and animals. Other hazards may include slick floors and hot stoves, cookware, plate ware or glassware. The employee member is occasionally subject to atmospheric condition such as fumes, odors, or dust.
(To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions).
I hereby acknowledge that I have read and understood the content of this job description. I understand the Company at its discretion may revise the job description from time to time in the future. I understand and agree that nothing in this job description should be construed as a contract of employment and that employment with this Company is at will meaning that the terms of employment may be changed with or without notice, with or without cause, including, but not limited to termination, demotion, promotion, transfer, compensation, benefits, duties, and location of work.