Sacred Heart Schools, Atherton (SHS) is seeking excellent candidates for a Middle School Latin Teacher.
Founded in 1898, SHS is a Roman Catholic, coeducational, independent school and is comprised of four divisions: SHS Preschool and Kindergarten, SHS Lower and Middle Schools for grades one through eight, and Sacred Heart Preparatory for grades nine through twelve.
Located on a beautiful 64-acre campus in the San Francisco Bay Area, SHS is one of 23 schools in the U.S. Network of Sacred Heart Schools and is affiliated with a network of over 200 Sacred Heart schools worldwide. The school's mission is to educate the whole child to be a leader who loves God and serves others. For more information about the schools, please visit our website: https://www.shschools.org/about/overview
*We offer competitive compensation based on years of experience, education, and skill level. This position offers health and welfare benefits subject to plan parameters, including medical, dental, vision, Life & LTD, 403(b) retirement plan, and more.
School Year: 2023-2024
Position Purpose: The Latin teacher is responsible for all aspects of creating a dynamic learning environment for students and serving as a middle school advisor.
- Prepare materials and classrooms for class activities.
- Adapt teaching methods and instructional materials to meet students' varying needs and interests.
- Plan and conduct activities for a balanced program of instruction, demonstration, and work time that provides students with opportunities to observe, question, and investigate.
- Instruct students individually and in groups, using various teaching methods such as lectures, discussions, and demonstrations.
- Establish clear objectives for all lessons, units, and projects, and communicate those objectives to students.
- Prepare, administer, and grade tests and assignments in order to evaluate students' progress.
- Meet with parents and guardians to discuss their children's progress, and to determine their priorities for their children and their resource needs.
- Provide a variety of materials and resources for children to explore, manipulate and use.
- Attend professional meetings, educational conferences, and teacher training workshops in order to maintain and improve professional competence.
- Perform other duties (recess, dismissal, etc.) as directed.
- A clear commitment to the educational philosophy of the school as articulated in the Goals and Criteria of Sacred Heart Schools and professional behavior modeled on it.
- Willingness to adapt to an existing curriculum as well as contribute ideas to enhance the respective academic programs.
- Fluency in reading, writing, and speaking in English and Latin. Excellent verbal and written skills, as well as outstanding interpersonal skills. Strong teaching ability; enjoy working with children.
- Ability to work well with students and colleagues; willingness to be an active, enthusiastic member of the SHS community.
- Obvious passion for the academic subject matter being taught.
- Commitment to equity and inclusion.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated excellent attendance and punctuality.
- Master’s degree or post-graduate work in the subject matter. Will consider a BA/BS degree with a teaching credential and substantial recent and relevant experience.
- A minimum of one year of successful teaching experience in an independent school environment.
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
- Works in a fast-paced environment dealing with a wide variety of challenges, deadlines, and complexities serving a varied constituency.
- Must comply with all state vaccination requirements and show proof of vaccination including but not limited to COVID-19 or proof of eligibility for exemption.
- Ability to travel safely and comfortably across a 64-acre campus.
- May work at a desk and computer for extended periods of time.
- Be able to occasionally lift up to 30 lbs.
- Work primarily in a traditional climate-controlled classroom environment and work intermittently in outside weather conditions, including extreme heat and cold.