Reports to: Vice President, Finance
Staff reporting to this position: None
Job classification: Exempt, full time; Nonunion - Level 7
Minimum compensation: $92,000
Work site: Hybrid (on-site two days per week, Washington, D.C., office)
The Senior Staff Accountant will be primarily responsible for maintaining revenue and accounts receivable (AR) systems, supervising payroll processing for approximately 300 employees, maintaining support schedules for balance sheet accounts, assisting the annual audit process, supporting the preparation of the annual tax forms, and completing other duties as assigned.
The Senior Staff Accountant reports to the Vice President of Finance and supports the Finance team in providing financial statements and reports. The role will be driven by American Progress’ mission to improve the lives of all Americans through bold, progressive ideas as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country. The successful candidate will join a dynamic team of colleagues to assist in strengthening the team’s work and supporting American Progress’ five crosscutting priorities:
- Strengthening health and ending the pandemic
- Building an economy for all
- Tackling climate change and environmental injustice
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Restoring social trust in democracy
- Maintain revenue and AR systems for contracts and grants.
- Provide contract and grant schedules.
- Prepare financial reports for grant reporting.
- Supervise payroll processing in Paycom for approximately 300 employees and reconcile data among timekeeping, payroll, benefits, and the general ledger system.
- Prepare detailed balance sheet account reconciliations.
- Adjust journal entries to reconcile general ledgers.
- Support monthly closes.
- Organize detailed accounting support for annual audits.
- Draft tax returns and filings.
- Assist staff on the Finance team with special projects and research as needed.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance, or business with an emphasis in accounting, or equivalent experience, is required.
- Certified public accountant (CPA) license or current CPA candidate is preferred, but not required.
- At least three years of accounting experience at a nonprofit organization is preferred.
- Experience with grant accounting is preferred.
- Experience with fixed asset accounting is a plus.
- Unanet accounting system experience is a plus.
- Highly proficient with Microsoft Excel and other Microsoft Office software.
- Ability to create systems that improve efficiency and internal controls.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and effectively prioritize and execute tasks.
- Strong verbal, written, analytical, and organizational skills.
- Highly motivated, and team-oriented, with a strong sense of integrity.
- Enjoys analytical work and processes involving many people and issues.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
- Ability to meet deadlines while maintaining a cooperative and collaborative spirit in a fast-paced work environment.
American Progress offers a full and competitive benefit package. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is not represented by a union and has a minimum salary of $92,000.
We will continue to monitor COVID-19 and the levels of community spread and adjust plans as needed for in-office work. Any changes to our current hybrid work policy will be communicated at the time of hire. Updates will be posted on American Progress’ Jobs page