Family Team Conference Facilitator
About Graham Windham
In full partnership with families & communities, Graham Windham strives to make a life-altering difference to children, youth and families affected by abuse, neglect and delinquency by providing each child we serve with a strong foundation for life: a safe, loving, permanent family and the opportunity and preparation to thrive in school and in the world. With over 400 full-time, part-time and on-call employees serving children and families in multiple programs throughout Manhattan, the Bronx, Brooklyn and Harlem, Graham Windham provides an exciting & enriching work experience.
Graham Windham is the first organization in New York City to implement Solution -Based Casework (SBC). Solution -Based Casework helps children and families to be the solution to the seemingly insurmountable problems in their lives, from generational cycles of poverty, abuse, and neglect to unemployment, domestic violence, and severe health problems. By recognizing and reinforcing their innate strengths and ability to cope, we at Graham Windham empower them to take the lead in making change in their lives.
About the Program
At Graham Windham our Family Foster Care programs help children to get back to their families, adopted into a new family or connected to someone who is willing to be an anchor for children, throughout their childhood and into adulthood. To help us do that, we have hundreds of loving & highly qualified foster parents primarily in Brooklyn, Manhattan, and the Bronx who serve as our foster children's substitute family.
About the Position
To facilitate and lead the process for engaging families, community members, and service providers in critical decisions related to safety and risk.
Duties & Responsibilities (but not limited to):
- Lead conference participants in the group process and become involved in the discussion needed to ensure the best decision in regard to the safety and well-being of the child.
- Direct the group process and structure of the conference.
- Facilitates discussion of safety and permanency ensuring that:
- No family leaves the FTC table until he/she understands the agency’s concerns in relation to safety, risk and permanency for child(ren) in foster care.
- Safety and risk are not confused in the discussion – that only matters directly related to safety (not poverty, not risk) are named as safety issues.
- Through the skills of brainstorming, assessment, negotiation and consensus building, guides and assists the participants to produce a safety plan that reflects the family’s strengths and incorporates community resources.
- Every family member leaves the FTC table with a clear understanding of the steps to take to achieve the desired case outcomes
- Information shared in the conference is clear and straightforward and that all present have a turn to convey the issues as they view them.
- Through shared decision making helps to develop a plan with the family, family supports ACS and Agency.
- Effectively manages conflict and strong emotions as they arise by utilizing Conflict Management skills.
- Accurately records FTC information and decisions on designated forms and provide a copy of the report to all conference participants.
- Contribute knowledge about the needs, strengths and resources which may contribute to ensure the child(ren)’s safety while supporting the family.
- Help the family understand agency’s concerns in relation to safety and risk.
- Help families to access services in the community
- Promotes an inclusive, safe and supportive environment where all participants will be assured that they can and will be heard.
- Contact and consult with ACS, Agency personnel and service providers
- Other duties as assigned
B.A. or B.S. in Social Work or related fields; Three or more years’ experience as a foster care caseworker or case planner; Strong verbal and written communication abilities; Strong interpersonal skills.
Full-time position; Base Pay Range: $50,000 - $52,000 + Merit Award + Benefits. Graham Windham offers eligible employees a comprehensive benefit package including medical, dental, and vision coverage, paid time off, holiday pay, retirement savings plan, and much more.