The Potomac School is a connected K-12 learning community organized into four distinct academic divisions. We currently enroll 1,066 students, representing 102 zip codes in DC, Maryland, and Virginia. Our beautiful 90-acre campus is located just three miles from the nation's capital. We are seeking qualified, part-time school bus driver candidates to join our community and support our mission to prepare students for lives of purpose, achievement, and generosity. Transportation is an integral piece of the Potomac experience. The Potomac School offers an extensive school bus transportation program, allowing us to serve students throughout the Washington metro area. We offer an extensive fee-based neighborhood bus program and limited regional service, and a free shuttle system with 11 stops. Our robust benefit package includes:
- Competitive pay, starting at $26.96 per hour
- Guaranteed minimum of 20 hours per week with additional opportunities for field trips, late buses, and event buses
- Availability of summer work
- Excellent benefits including: health, dental, and vision insurance; paid vacation and holidays; opportunities for training and development
- Well behaved students and a supportive school community
- Sign-on bonus up to $500, $250 payable at 90 days and another $250 payable at 6 months of employment
The School Bus Driver is a part-time, 10-month split shift position reporting to the Transportation Services Manager. This role is responsible for safely operating the school bus and transporting students on a regular, daily basis.
- Operate the school bus in a safe and efficient way in compliance with the law and according to all relevant school policies and procedures.
- Complete the school bus route as assigned ensuring that students safely enter and exit the school bus at their designated stops.
- Ensure all bus passengers are safely seated before and while the school bus is in motion.
- Observe speed limits and obey all road signs and traffic regulations.
- Maintain order on the bus, explain safety procedures to passengers as needed, enforce rules of conduct and respond to emergencies, including the safe evacuation of passengers through emergency exits.
- Keep record of the students transported and miles driven on each run and report to manager.
- Ensure vehicles are in good operating condition by performing required daily pre-trip safety inspections and maintenance checks. Report any adverse conditions immediately to the school’s mechanics.
- Ensure that vehicles are in broom clean condition and free from garbage daily.
- Perform test runs of any regularly scheduled route, as needed, to be comfortable and confident in that route prior to transporting students.
- Review directions for the am, pm, storm stop and late run routes regularly and confirm all changes with manager.
- Observe queuing protocols and traffic direction for school buses while on campus.
- Exercise good judgment in the performance of job responsibilities and work without direct supervision.
- Communicate effectively with children and parents (as needed).
- Attend mandatory monthly driver meetings and other meetings as scheduled and required.
- Perform any other related duties as assigned by the Transportation Services Manager or designee.